By LOUISE BOYLE
PUBLISHED: 08:37 EST, 21 June 2012 | UPDATED: 08:41 EST, 21 June 2012
- Kardin Ulysse had 2 unsuccessful surgeries and faces cornea transplant
- Teenager attacked by pupils at Roy Mann Jr High in Brooklyn, New York
A teenager is suing for $16 million after he claimed he was blinded by a group of boys who attacked him at school.
Kardin Ulysse, 14, said he was attacked in the cafeteria of Roy Mann Junior High School in Brooklyn, New York on June 5.
The boy has already had two surgeries to repair his sight but both have failed. He is
Blinded: Kardin Ulysse, 14, lost sight in his right eye after being punched in the eye while wearing his glasses at Roy Mann High School in New York
It is unclear if Kardin was blinded after being repeatedly punched or by shards of lens from the glasses he was wearing at the time. He must now wear a patch to protect the damaged eye.
Kardin’s father Pierre said that his son had been tormented for a long time and in the past had been punched in the face and beaten.
Mr Ulysse told CBS New York: ‘They called him a whole lot of names, transvestite, homo – all kinds of stuff.’
The lawsuit, brought against the city, said the school failed to protect Kardin from his attackers, according to the family’s lawyer Sanford Rubenstein.
The attackers, who have not been identified, have been arrested and will face disciplinary action from the Department of Education. Charges have not yet been brought against the middle school students.
Vicious: Kardin said fellow students called him a ‘transvestite’ and have beaten him up on other occasions