Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News
Posted: May 17, 2013 5:32 PM CDT Updated: May 17, 2013 9:26 PM CDT
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -Three teenagers have been charged with sexual assaulting a 12-year-old girl last year and posting a video of the attack on Facebook.
Justin Applewhite, 16, Kenneth Brown, 15, Scandale Fritz, 16, were each charged as adults with one count of aggravated criminal sexual assault, according to the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office. Judge James Brown ordered all three teens held on $900,000 bond.
The 12-year-old girl walked to Fritz’ home Dec. 15, 2012, to meet with him, according to court documents. When she arrived Fritz took the girl down to the basement and sexually assaulted her despite her resistance and demands to stop.
Fritz then brought Applewhite and Brown, who the girl had seen taking a gun in and out of his pocket earlier, down to the basement, according to court documents.
The group asked the girl three times to engage in sex acts with Brown and Applewhite, according to court documents. She refused the first two times, but agreed the third time because she knew all three were gang members and was afraid Brown would shoot her.
Brown and Applewhite then sexually assaulted the girl while Fritz videotaped the rape, according to court documents. Fritz was identified in the video because at one point he turned the camera towards his face.
The video showed Brown waiving the gun in the air during the sexual assault while all three yelled gang slogans, according to court documents.
The next day the girl filed a police report and went to the hospital, court documents said.
On Dec. 17, the video of the attack was posted on Brown’s Facebook account, according to court documents. The video was later posted on Fritz and Applewhite’s Facebook pages.
Fritz later provided a handwritten statement to his involvement, court documents said.
All three will be back in court June 6.
The website DNAinfo Chicago says Brown is a football player at Hubbard High School and Fritz apparently plays basketball at Englewood High School.
A parent who wants to remain anonymous said she shocked by the news.
“I’m speechless to know that someone that goes to this school would do anything like that and then to put it on Facebook,” she said.
A Facebook spokesperson emailed FOX 32 News saying, “We work with law enforcement to the extent required by law, and as needed to keep the site and those who use it safe. We devote significant resources evaluating requests for user information, and adhere to the letter of these laws when responding to requests for information.”
FOX 32’s Tisha Lewis contributed to this report.