by JENN @ FRUGAL UPSTATE on FEBRUARY 8, 2013
I’m always looking for new bean recipes to work in to my weekly meal plans. My sister in Colorado made this crockpot stew and just raved about it–she said she couldn’t stop eating it and that everyone who tried it at her work just loved it.
I made it for the family and it was pretty good. Seriously-we didn’t rave but it was nice. I did find that I enjoyed it more the more I ate it (for lunches and such) over the next couple of days. So if you are looking for something a bit different to try, this African Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew might be just the ticket. If you aren’t quite sure, why not try making a half batch and using it as a side dish with another meal?
I particularly liked it with the chopped dry roasted peanuts on top. I didn’t have any lime wedges, but I’m thinking that “tang” would be lovely the next time I make it.
- 1 1/2 C Onion (chopped)
- 1 Clove Garlic (minced or pressed)
- Olive Oil
- 4 C Sweet Potato (peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes)
- 1 can Chickpeas (drained)
- 2 C Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger (grated or minced)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes (drained)
- 1 sm can Green Chilies (diced)
- 3 TBS Peanut Butter
- Dry Roasted Peanuts
- Lime Wedges
- -Saute onion and garlic in a little olive oil until tender.
- -In your slow cooker combine garlic, onion, with the rest of the ingredients except for the peanut butter and optional garnishes.
- -Cook on Low 8 hrs.
- -after 8 hrs, in a small bowl combine some of the liquid from the crockpot with the peanut butter and whisk until it is all combined. Pour the broth/peanut butter mixture back into the slow cooker and mix.
- -Serve stew with chopped dry roasted peanuts sprinkled on top and lime wedges on the side to squeeze over.