by JENN @ FRUGAL UPSTATE on FEBRUARY 8, 2013
I made it for the family and it was pretty good. Seriously-we didn’t rave but it was nice. I did find that I enjoyed it more the more I ate it (for lunches and such) over the next couple of days. So if you are looking for something a bit different to try, this African Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew might be just the ticket. If you aren’t quite sure, why not try making a half batch and using it as a side dish with another meal?
I particularly liked it with the chopped dry roasted peanuts on top. I didn’t have any lime wedges, but I’m thinking that “tang” would be lovely the next time I make it.
- 1 1/2 C Onion (chopped)
- 1 Clove Garlic (minced or pressed)
- Olive Oil
- 4 C Sweet Potato (peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes)
- 1 can Chickpeas (drained)
- 2 C Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger (grated or minced)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes (drained)
- 1 sm can Green Chilies (diced)
- 3 TBS Peanut Butter
- Dry Roasted Peanuts
- Lime Wedges
- -Saute onion and garlic in a little olive oil until tender.
- -In your slow cooker combine garlic, onion, with the rest of the ingredients except for the peanut butter and optional garnishes.
- -Cook on Low 8 hrs.
- -after 8 hrs, in a small bowl combine some of the liquid from the crockpot with the peanut butter and whisk until it is all combined. Pour the broth/peanut butter mixture back into the slow cooker and mix.
- -Serve stew with chopped dry roasted peanuts sprinkled on top and lime wedges on the side to squeeze over.